Thursday, May 1, 2008

15 minutes, please?

So, Grace Wang has learned one thing distinctively American culture: the American celebrity principle of grabbing 30-second spotlights and turned them into 15 minutes of fame. (see the recent Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. story.)

I stumble upon a first-hand recount of her appearance as debate mediator on BBC, which intrigues me to search for her updates. Google search bar promptly helps to fill out the entry.

Apparently she made herself available for various media/entertainment outlets under the guidance of Scott Savitt - at the cost of postponing her final exams at that, wrote an essay, polished again by Scott Savitt, for Washington Post, and waited on calls from 60 Minutes. It's tempting to say that here's some young girl exploited by the media. But seeing the demand is mutual, I'd say she fits right in.

It would be a waste of time to comment on her essay (essays?). But here's a quote right off the article probably summed it all up. "One-sixth of the population in the world already knew my national ID and my parents' address," she said of her initial thought when The New York Times called. "I didn't have any privacy anymore."

Sorry, Grace. None of the people I know of, inside or outside of China, has any knowledge of that. Most of them don't even know who Grace Wang is.

How does that Carly Simon song go? "You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you? Don't you? Don't you?"

Related Content of This Rocking Post

No comments:

Post a Comment