Saturday, June 14, 2008

Clapping

Two relatively old news: One, Beijing Olympic committee issued clapping guide of Olympic cheers; Two, in the 110 hurdle of Goodwill games, clapping was very sporadic when an athlete from an African country was introduced and he raised his hands to gesture.

Yes, both are a bit hard to get used to, but both are aspects of China. And they are related in understanding the colloquial "why do they do that?".

Talking about clapping, I'm glad no one clapped at the end of showing of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, including a battalion of kids in the theater. It would have made me feel aged.

I was a huge Indy fan, having watched all Indy movies, many twice. I'm not sure how it got 77% percent rotten. All that action and the plot failed to engage me, to a point I began to wonder about why they kept a silly posture striding two moving vehicles through the Amazon, wasn't it easier just to swirl the car to shake the enemy off? or how come Indy and his troop survived three trips over the waterfall without a bruise. I know, it's a cardinal sin of watching an action movie, but that can't be all my fault, can it? Is that because Harrison Ford seemed to have lost his joie de vivre, or because I'm getting too old for this? Probably both.

Related Content of This Rocking Post

No comments:

Post a Comment